Alleviating TMJ Symptoms
Smiling, chewing, and talking might not seem very tough, but facial movements can be quite difficult for individuals with Temporomandibular Joint dysfunction (TMJ). Although many TMJ symptoms can resolve in a couple of weeks, some conditions can last long or even result in further complications, such as neck strain. However, here are some ways for TMJ pain treatment as described below:
Jaw exercises are one of the most common TMJ pain treatments. Although long-term relief can take a lot of time, jaw exercises can help with short-term relief. Here are some excellent exercises for dental TMJ treatment:
- Chin Tucks: Keep your shoulders back and tuck the chin into the neck, in turn creating a “double chin.” Hold the position for 3 seconds and repeat it ten times.
- Goldfish Exercise: Position the tongue on the mouth’s upper area and place one index finger on the chin. Then, put the other index finger on your TMJ joint. Drop the jaw halfway with the help of the finger on the chin and then close it. There might be no pain but a mild resistance. Repeat the exercise at least six times.
- Stress Release: Sit or lay down and slowly inhale. Allow the stomach to rise instead of the chest. Repeat the exercise five to ten times.
These exercises can provide short-term pain relief and make it easy to undertake daily tasks.
Cold & Hot Therapy
Cold and hot therapy can help in dealing with TMJ disorder. Individuals can use both a warm washcloth and an ice pack one by one to ease the pain. Using the ice pack for ten minutes and then applying the washcloth after some five-minute exercises can effectively deal with TMJ pain.
Avoid Bad Habits
An individual might have certain tendencies, amplifying the TMD pain further. These include:
- Nail biting
- Clenching and grinding the teeth
- Resting one hand in the other
- Chewing the lips and cheeks
It’s essential to take note of the daily habits and avoid them, as they can intensify the pain.
A healthcare practitioner might also recommend some medicines to help relieve the TMJ pain. For instance, individuals can use pain relievers and anti-inflammatories, like Ibuprofen. Tricyclic antidepressants like Amitriptyline can also be effective in dealing with pain, bruxism, and sleeplessness. Muscle relaxants can also relieve the pain for a few weeks.
TMJ can make it challenging to deal with daily tasks, and even smiling can be extremely painful. However, with some exercises and therapy, TMJ pain can be dealt quite effectively.
Searching for a TMJ clinic in Canada? Contact Markham Dental today and get TMJ pain relief without any hassle.